In the past decade, people have become
more aware of the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning
in the home. Often called the silent killer, carbon
monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas
created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal,
natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn
incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment
that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide.
Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can
also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.